Saturday, February 23, 2013

Ms. Fix-it


Verse of the Week:
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!

     How unsearchable his judgments,     and his paths beyond tracing out!“Who has known the mind of the Lord?     Or who has been his counselor?”“Who has ever given to God,     that God should repay them?” For from him and through him and for him are all things.     To him be the glory forever! Amen.
Romans 11:33-36

Ms. Fix-it



Hello, my name is Katrina, and I am your typical Ms. Fix-it.
Need advice?  Whenever my husband came home from a tough day at work, I gladly gave him my opinions and advice that I believed would help fix his situation; in which, eventually he would say to me, “Katrina, I don’t need advice; I just need, you to LISTEN.” 

Need help getting your 4 month old baby to sleep through the night? No problem. After hearing that rice cereal can help them sleep through the night, I was determined to give it a try.  My poor baby despite his crying, protests, and clamping his mouth shut was fed rice cereal.  The result? An extremely colicky baby with a tummy ache who set the world record of waking Brian and I up 6 times in one night.  I finally surrendered and took him off the rice cereal. One week later WITHOUT his Mommy’s help, he slept 7 hours straight in one night.
 
You see, I believe many of us have the illusion that we are in control and it is up to us to fix situations.  However, we are deceiving ourselves if we believe we are in control. Often times when we try to fix things, we end up making it worse! Let’s face it, life happens, and sometimes sickness, job loss, debt, hurt relationships, buying a new house, and many other things spiral out of our control, and as hard as we try, we can’t fix it.  I can remember a very tough time in my life when someone close to me was struggling spiritually.  I tried to help that person by giving my advice, starting heated debates about why God is real, and quoting Bible verses.  However, despite all of my efforts, that person was still in a lot of spiritual pain, and there was nothing I could do to change it. If anything, I was making the situation worse.  Finally, after months of frustration, I gave that person to God and prayed everyday for that person’s faith.  A month later, I got to watch God transform that person’s life, and strengthen that person’s faith. God did it WITHOUT my help. 

Why are we so sure that God needs our help with problems in life?  Perhaps it comes from not really understanding how powerful God truly is.  Romans 11:33-36 shows just how amazing our God truly is. Don’t just skim the verse, read it carefully and meditate on His awesomeness!

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
     How unsearchable his judgments,
     and his paths beyond tracing out!
“Who has known the mind of the Lord?
     Or who has been his counselor?”
 “Who has ever given to God,
     that God should repay them?”
For from him and through him and for him are all things.
     To him be the glory forever! Amen.

Our God displays wisdom and knowledge that neither you nor I can comprehend.  We cannot understand His mind nor give Him counsel; in fact, we cannot give Him anything because all things belong to Him!  WOW!  God doesn’t need my help; He has everything under his control.  In fact it says in the Bible that God has put all things under Christ’s authority or feet (I Corinthians 15:27).  Maybe we should stop trying to push Christ off the throne and let him reign. Why don’t we let Him be in control this week?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment