Thursday, July 11, 2013

Do You Realize How Blessed You Are?

Verse of the Week:

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)


Do You Realize How Blessed You Are?


I absolutely love spending time with my in-laws.  My father-in-law in particular is a funny guy that makes people laugh all the time. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth. His crazy sense of humor, keeps everyone smiling and laughing. However, in the midst of all the humor, he will also surprise us with some very serious profound thoughts that are whirling around in that head of his.  I was talking with him one afternoon, when he said something that got me to thinking.  He said, "Suppose whatever you thank God for today is what you would receive tomorrow."  Or to put it this way, whatever you forget to thank God for, you won't receive tomorrow. Now I know that if I forget to thank God on stuff that He is not going to automatically take it away, but it got me to thinking about how there is so much more for me to be thankful for than I ever realized.   I decided to try out this thought process and began to thank God for things in my life with the idea that if I didn't thank Him for it, then it would not be there tomorrow.

So I started with the obvious.  Thank you, Lord, for Jesus, Brian (my husband), and Brayden (my little boy).  I then proceeded to thank him for food, shelter, clothing, and money to buy the things we need. 

 I had started with the basic stuff you always hear, but somewhere along the way I began to get specific.  Thank you Lord, for the toilet that actually works, a sink to do dishes, for running water, electricity, for carpet on the floor, a soft bed.  Thank you for legs that can run, for arms that can carry my son, and for fingers to hold a pen.  Thank you for pens, pencils, paper, and photos. Thank you for trees, flowers, soil, lady bugs, bees, and birds that chirp. Thank you for ears to hear with, hands to feel with,  eyes to see the beauty around me.  Thank you for sunlight, the air I breathe, and for clouds in the sky.  Thank you for Brayden's pacifier, for his milk bottle, for a healthy baby boy, for his toys, and for his laughter.  Thank you for a car to take us around town and to beautiful places far away.  Thank you for yummy vegetables from our garden. Thank you for air conditioning, heaters, blankets, and towels.  Thank you for razors, soap, washcloths, and a tub to keep myself clean.  Thank you for white blood cells that work to keep my body healthy, for a strong beating heart, and organs that function. Thank you for family, friends, laughter, and conversation.  Thank you Lord, for you faithfulness, love, and grace. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

I realized that I couldn't even begin to thank Him for all that I had, but I learned one thing.  I am EXTREMELY BLESSED!  There are so many good things in life that I take for granted.  Every good thing in this world comes from God...

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)

Sometimes we get so caught up with negative thoughts, problems, and worries that we forget all the good things that God has given us.

Do you realize how blessed you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment